STELLARİA HOLOSTEA (greater stitchwort)

Greater Stitchwort.... Remind me needlepoint lace of a beautiful bride ..Delicate and innocent and purity in its bright white. Long time ago I brought it from the forest of Blacksea coastal area . It was only a stem and planted in my terrace pots. It has been the most rewarding transplanting ever. Now every spring I enjoy this natural needlepoint and it gives me great joy. They look beautiful in all pots but one in particular impresses me more than other..I have a marvelous Wisteria Sinensis at south side of my terrace and under it covered by Stitchwort and run down from the pot. These two bloom almost same time joyful purple up and pure white down . It is a showcase itself.
On my terrace Stitchwort start to bloom in late March and continue in late May. Leaves are suprisingly hard despite the fact that plant overall look fragile and weak and almost rootless. Notice the leaves narrow and tapering from the base. Stems are brittle yet has power for multiplication , spread on the ground very fast. My pots' soil is calcareous so I suppose stitchwort enjoy this condition. Examine the stamen and style ..Very delicately designed. This is my impression of this plant..
Lets
read some others expressions..
Almost everybody says that it is a ancient herbal use alleviating a 'stitch' in the side.
You know what the folk name of Stitchwort.. ' Dead Man's Bones ' . Why so gloomy ? Because the stem fracture easily , like old bones . My goodness what an imagination.. Once upon a time dump areas had to be filled with corpses . And Stitchworts are next to them . This Civilization has come a long way . Have we arrived a desired level ?.......Hell no still killing and killing with more destructive weapons . Now no bones left the compare . Is that the reason I describe Stitchwort as above..Well good for me .That still makes me smile.
In fact its scientific name Stellaria Holostea coming from Greek words ' holos ' all and ' osteon ' , bone .
Now I stop here and make a further comment ; Greek loves drama but they never name a beautiful flower as ' Dead Man's Bone ' . By the way with this occasion I like to thank Greeks for their contributions to humanity.


Okey now further pessimism about Stitchwort..According to Geoffrey Grigson
Stitchwort was a plant belonging to devil , pixies and added children feared picking the flowers , if they did the adder (?) would bite them , or they would be piskey-led ( bewilder , wandering lost ) . Picking the flowers could also provoke thunder and lightning .
it is also suggested that this is the church's effort against pagan beliefs. Plant become holy in these strange world of contrast.
Medical use of it? yes certain extend varieties close to it such as chickweed ( Stellaria Media ) can be used for certain skin disorders . However its medical use seems to be limited.
Edible ? yes Chickweed's tender leaves and stems can be added to salad .



Pictures were taken by Cemil Yavuz Oncelay . If you use any of them please give this page as a reference .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SORCHUS ARVENSIS ( a terrorist plant? )

BIR ZAMANLAR TURKIYE 1